Certified Homemaker-Home Health Aides (CHHHAs) Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)

1. What do homemaker-home health aides (CHHHAs) do?

Some typical duties of a homemaker-home health aide include helping the patient take a bath, use the toilet or bed pan, and dress. They also may prepare patient meals, do light laundering, straighten the patient’s room, run errands and assist with exercise regimens.

2. How does the certified homemaker-home health aide know what to do?

A New Jersey licensed Registered Professional Nurse (RN) designs the plan of care for the patient and responsibilities to the homemaker-home health aide.

3. How do I know if a homemaker-home health aide is certified?

In New Jersey, homemaker-home health aides fall under the supervision of the New Jersey Board of Nursing and are certified only after successfully completing a required training program, a competency evaluation and a criminal history background check. Check the On-line directory of certified homemaker-home health aides to ensure the person you are considering hiring is a certified CHHHA. You may call the Board of Nursing at (973) 504-6546 to check the certification status of a CHHA.

4. How can I find a homemaker-home health aide to assist my family?

Certified homemaker-home health aides must be employed by a New Jersey-licensed home health care services agency (http://www.njconsumersaffairs.gov/ocp/agency.pdf) A certified homemaker-home health aide may not work privately.

5. What NJ government agency regulates Health Care Services Firms at which CHHHAs may be employed?

The Division of Consumers Affairs’ Regulated Business Section regulates Health Care Service Firms in NJ. CHHHAs may not work independently. They must be employed by a health care service firm and be under the supervision of an RN. (http://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/ocp.htm)

6. What NJ government agency regulated CHHHAs?

The New Jersey Board of Nursing regulates certified homemaker-home health aides. (http://njconsumersaffairs.gov/medical/nursing.htm)

7. What NJ government agency regulates residential healthcare facilities, assisted Living residences and programs, and alternate family care providers?

The NJ Department of Health and Senior Services licenses and/or regulates nursing homes and other long-term care settings and programs. (http://www.state.nj.us/health/ltc/cgi/facilitysearch.htm)


Contact A&J Majestic Care
Holler Box